Eight years is a long time. It covers the period from birth to third grade, or an entire two-term US presidency. But, as I just learned, eight years has not yet been enough time to get a very simple fix to the way WordPress generates permalinks included into WordPress Core. A few weeks ago, I noticed that if you write a slash character (/) in a post title, the permalink that gets generated mushes together the words separated by the slash, rather than separating them with a – character as I’d expected. I’ve made this article an example: notice how the URL says openunfixed rather than open-unfixed, because of the slash. In addition to being odd, this has some minor negative SEO consequences, since nobody’s doing a Google search for the non-word “openunfixed.” It’s also very easy to fix: a minor change to one line of code in wp-includes/formatting.php. Putting all this together, I filed a Trac ticket outlining the problem and the fix earlier this afternoon. Here’s where it gets weird: my Trac ticket was immediately marked as a duplicate of an eight-year-old ticket on the same topic that has still not been resolved. The fix in that ticket
Share This

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website without any data sent to third party services.